If you’re not sure about DNA or what a brick sequencer is, see What’s it all about? before reading on.
How it works
The Blocksford Brickopore sequencer is built with LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3, a robotics control kit for LEGO Technic elements.
We couldn’t do quite what we wanted with the standard Mindstorms software, so we’ve got our Mindstorms to run a version of the Linux operating system called ev3dev. This is done by inserting a micro SD card into the EV3 brick that contains the new operating system.
We then built two pieces of software: a server that runs on a laptop (currently only tested with MacOS) and a client that runs on the EV3 brick.
How to build your own
If you want to build your own Brickopore sequencer, follow the steps below.
The only thing we ask is that you credit us and that you let us know which events you use it at, so that we can keep track of impact!
STEP 1: Download the build instructions, buy the bits and build it!
- You can download the sequencer build instructions from here.
- You need to get hold of a Mindstorms EV3 kit.
- Then you need to get hold of some additional pieces. There’s a parts list here which contains all parts apart from the EV3 brick and sensors. You’ll need to work out which parts came with your particular set and which bits you need to order. You can buy some parts from Lego’s own Pick a Brick service, but you’ll probably need to go to Bricklink too.
STEP 2: Download the Blocksford Brickopore software
- Download the server software (which runs on the connected computer) from https://github.com/richardmleggett/BrickoporeGUI.
- Download the client software (which runs on the EV3 brick under ev3dev) from https://github.com/richardmleggett/brickopore.
- You’ll need to get the client software onto the brick and then compile it. Or you could contact us about getting hold of a SD card image that contains ev3dev and our software.
STEP 3: Running the sequencer
- Connect the connected computer via a USB cable to the EV3 control brick.
- Start the server software on the connected laptop.
- Open an ssh connection to the brick and start the client software.
More detailed instructions will follow. In the meantime, contact us if you need further assistance.